A Hotlist on India Resources
Center for School Development
- India and the Himalayas - A good source about the
history, religions, and life in India.
- India and Its Neighbors - Culture, landscape, religions,
diaspora, social issues, history and politics of India.
- An Introduction to India
- Indian location, geography, climate, people and culture.
- ThinkQuest Libraries of entries
- An example of a web site on India created by students from around the world.
This site has information on the history, music and dance of India.
- Instructional Resources - This Asia Society's web site has
links to many resources including lesson plans, essays, maps and images.
- India - the Great Ocean of Heritage
- A web site created by Indian students about their country.
- India: The Land of Wonders
- Links to a large variety ofresources and information on cultural aspects
and country profile.
- Hidden India: The Kerala Spicelands - The geography, history religion,
arts, food and spices of this small region in the south of India.
- Daily Life in Ancient
India - Daily life in three major time periods of ancient India history;
the mysterious and so cool Indus Valley Civilization, the Vedic & Epics
Periods, and the Age of Empires.
- A Brief History
of India - Islamic India
- The history of India from 3000BC till late 20th century.
- The Man - The Mahatma
- This web site created by students for ThinkQuest has links and information
about Mahatma Gandhi.
- A Tribute to Love: The Taj Mahal
- A web site created by students to portray the ultimate love of a 17th century
Indian ruler, Shah Jahan, to the memory of his wife.
- India: Past and Present
- This introduction to India's fascinating 5,000-year-old culture includes
facts about languages, religion, music, film, politics and government, history,
economy, sports and more.
- About the Ganges
River - The history, economy and environmental problems and
other facts about the Ganges River.
- TempleNet: The River Ganges
- Information about the religious importance of the Ganges River and many
links to individual temples. .
- PBS: Anamalia - The Anamalai
Wildlife Sanctuary, the 'Elephant Mountain,' is located in southern India.
This page describes its history, wildlife and mission.
- Wildlife of India
- A comprehensive introduction to the wildlife of India including maps
- India for Kids
- For children aged 7-9, gives an insight into the diverse culture and landscape
- The Indian Elephant
- The importance and role of the elephant in Indian culture.
- Images and brief descitpitons of Indian clothes, toys, food, music, containers,
religious and other items.
- Art from India
of Indian art.
- Colors of India - The importance
of colors in everyday life and during holiday celebrations in India.
- India - A Country Study
- This online book deals with the country, describing and analyzing its political,
economic, social, and national security systems and institutions, and examining
the interrelationships of those systems and the ways they are shaped by historical
and cultural factors.
of India: Diwali -
Brief description Diwali, the light festival and links to pages about other
festivals in India.
for IndiaCountry Profile and some Aspects of Culture
for Kids Pictures, maps, country profile information and some culture
To The World This Library of Congress site has links to: general resources,
business, commerce, economy, culture, education, embassies, government, politics,
law, health, history, language, literature, media, communication organizations,
recreation and travel, religion, philosophy, and society.
Department of State-Bureau of South and Central Asian AffairsBackground
Note: India Current information on geography, people, history, government,
politics, and the economy.
Profiles: India This Library of Congress site has pages of country
profile information periodically updated.
World Factbook 2007 Information on geography, people, government,
economy, communications, transportation, and the military. Students in the
upper grades will find this site useful.
British Museum View objects in the Museum's India collection from
early civilizations (5000 BC) to the present day.
Encyclepedia Oxford Reference Online India
Information about the Indian flag and its symbolism.
Culture of India Links to information on landscape, religions, diaspora,
social issues, history and politics.
Treasure House of India's Culture and Heritage A large selection
of links to the culture, heritage, customs, people, arts, architecture, sports,
festivals, language, and literature of India
Culture This link is a slide presentation on the culture of India,
family structure, and religion for 4,5,6 grade students
Many links to culture but some on country profile. Information on Indian monuments
& temples, festivals & religions, languages, Indian epics, and history.
- The Great Goddess Links to an exhibition that was shown at the Smithsonian's
National Museum of Asian Art in the Sackler Gallery. The exhibition looks
at 6 aspects of the Indian goddess Devi. It offers information on the contemporary
and historic worship of Devi and links to additional resources.
of India Links to an overview of India's cultural and religious diversity